Friday, April 17, 2009








We left early from Galway en route to Donegal. While on our way we stopped in for a brief visit in Knock, County Mayo...it is in this town that Mrs. Maher's ancestors, the Salmon family lived. There is also a shrine where it is said the Virgin Mary appeared to three children. We also stopped DrumCliff at the foot of Benbulben Mountain... to view the grave of William Butler Yeats. There was a very interesting sculpture with a beautiful poem -

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.
-William Butler Yeats

After that we continued north to Donegal town where we spent some time exploring the center and shopping (we even found Ecuador in Ireland, Slip (and yes Enrique and Ilmar, there is one). We then continued to out hotel where we enjoyed a chicken and gammon (ham) dinner, and then some of the students went for a swim.
Tomorrow we are off to Derry, in Northern Ireland and some time at the second largest national park in Ireland.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for update, If you can tell Heather I got her email and to check the reply I sent she will be a happy girl.....

    Thanks,
    Patty

    ReplyDelete